- 6 Firm Apples (such as Granny Smith)
- Brown Sugar
- Peanuts (optional)
- Casserole Dish
- Bowls for holding ingredients
- Spring loaded tongs
- Food Processor (optional)
- Small Knife
- Move oven rack to about the middle. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Wash apples and dry them.
Take your knife and cut around the core of the apple. Then scoop out the core in portions. You may have to do this a few times to get all of the core out. The goal is to remove the hard parts of the apple and the seeds, without removing too much of the apple meat.
- Be careful to not scoop too far down, otherwise you might put a hole in your apple.
Set the cored apple into the casserole dish. Repeat until all the apples are cored.
- If you are concerned about browning on the apple, coat the apple with lemon juice.
Set out your fillings into the bowls. (brown sugar, peanuts, raisins).
- To make crushed peanuts place shelled peanuts in a food processor and pulse until pieces are to desired size.
- Fill your apples, layering them with the fillings until you reach the top of the apples. Once the apples are filled, sprinkle on cinnamon and top with a pat of butter, about a half tablespoon.
- Place casserole into the preheated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Check after fifteen minutes. Apples are done when they are soft (squeezable). You should be able to easily eat with a fork.
- Instead of peanuts, raisins, and cinnamon: place a large marshmallow, some chocolate, crushed graham crackers, and more marshmallow, topped with butter and then bake.
- Instead of peanuts, raisins, butter, and cinnamon: fill with dried fruits such as coconut, mango, pineapple, and papaya topped with a half tablespoon of coconut oil and then bake.
Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Instead of raisins and cinnamon: layer with crushed peanuts, chocolate chips, peanut butter, brown sugar, and then bake.
- Instead of peanuts and raisins: later basil, thyme, dried blueberries, lemon zest, and a small amount of honey and butter. Then bake.
Sweet and Salty
- Instead of peanuts, raisins, and cinnamon: sprinkle a little salt in the bottom of the apple, then layer caramels and pretzels, topped with sugar and butter. Then bake.