Aged Eggnog (sugar and sugar free recipe)
- 12 Large egg yolks
1 Pound of sugar (roughly 2 cups)
- For sugar free use the same amount of xylitol instead of sugar
- 2 Pints of Heavy cream (4 cups)
- 1 Pint of whole milk (2 cups)
- 1 Cup of rum
- 1 Cup of Bourbon
- 1 Cup of Brandy
- ¼ Teaspoon kosher salt
- Measuring cups (liquid and dry)
- Container for aging eggnog (such as a cleaned out soda container or a cleaned out gallon container)
- Measuring spoons
- Optional: zester or microplane
- Optional: kitchen scale.
- Preparation: 5-10 minutes
- Finished product: minimum of 4 weeks, but I recommend longer if possible.
- Separate the eggs (I recommend saving the egg whites to be eaten at a later date.
Beat the yolks, sugar, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls like a ribbon from the whisk.
- If using whole nutmeg use the zester to shave off the desired amount.
- Combine milk, heavy cream, alcohol, and salt in a second bowl and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.
- Move the mixture into into the final container (for storage) and place in the fridge or a cool storage place such as a cellar. Allow to rest as long as possible to deepen the flavor. Can be drunk immediately, but flavor will not be mellowed until it rests for about four weeks. Occasionally shake or stir the mixture if the ingredients have settled at all.